Hi Mia,
I would show the writing teacher his volcano work, and see if she can get him to write about 'research topics' instead of 'character observation.' Afterall, it's still writing. And, if he watches TV or movies, I would 'have fun discussions' about characters in the TV show.

You could show him a plot line - how the main character keeps meeting obsitcles and overcoming them. You could use the remote to pause and give 'points' everytime one of you can say outloud a sentence about how the action reveals the nature of the character. Or have a big list of words that discribe people and race from the couch to the list and touch a word that describes the character. To earn his 'point' he would then have to say, in words, how what he just saw tells him that the person has that characteristic.

If it's a chance to win, my DS would do it all day. Your job is to be enthusiastic if he says anything that seems remotely correct, and to compete with him 'a little' so that he wins, after a bit of struggle, but not too much.

I think the scribing thing you are doing is great. Next time, write the sentences down on the computer with each line as it's own paragraph, and show him how to 'copy/paste' so that all the similar lines go together. Time after that, show him the list of 'transition words' that help him get from one idea to the next.

Or you could write a list of your own sentences,perhaps some advice on a topic he has experience with, and ask him to sort them into meaningful paragraphs to use here. It's fun!

Love and More LOve
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com