Kriston,
DS is in the position of being one of those trailblazers. His school is trying things with him that they haven't done before. It is alot of pressure on DS since he is aware that they are doing different things for him. He is also not the best candidate to be a guinea pig due to his 2E issues. In fact, earlier this week, DS was asking me why he got to go to 5th grade math but his friends didn't when he is sure the could do better than him. It was hard trying to explain that while he was probably right that his friends might be able to handle the subject skip, the school had their own reasons for letting him try it first.
It doesn't help that DS is struggling with math for the first time in his life. He gets all the concepts easily but since he refuses to double check or show his work, he is making lots of preventable errors. I worry that if he doesn't keep a high A average that he will hurt the chances of future students to get the skips that they may need. However, his Math teacher thinks that he will self correct with a couple lower scores and hopefully learn a good lesson. I guess only time will tell at this point.