We decided we couldn't wait until December. We pulled our son out of his public school after a month and I am homeschooling him. It's absolutely the best decision we could have made at the time.

Now, unlike in your situation, our teacher was resistant to even the most gentle of advocacy from us. If we'd had any sort of positive dialogue going with her, things might have been different for us.

But as DH says, "Actually, I think the teacher did us a favor by being so nasty. If she'd been nice about it, we'd have limped along through the year and DS would have had a rotten time of it. As it is, we pulled him out quickly and now he's actually learning something...and he's happy!"

Advocacy is wonderful, and I hope you can get the teacher/school to see the light. But if it helps ease your mind a little, there are worse things than homeschooling. I was terrified, but it's looking like a really great experience for us all. I know I felt better when I just realized that I had options. So I'm telling you: you do have options! Hang in there!

My only advice about how to advocate, though, is this bit of wisdom I gleaned from my experience: threading the needle is hard. What's too nice to get results? What's too pushy to keep people on your side? Ultimately, when it came down to it, I preferred to be thought of as "that mom" than to allow DS to be thought of as "that kid." I can take it; he shouldn't have to!

Keep us updated! Best wishes in your struggle!

Kriston