Hi there,

I know your pain. So sorry.

Please see a posting I just made in UGH! ...Gate meeting.

I suggest finding other parents with bright kids, persuading at least one or two of them to approach the school with you, and then advocating for the kids in a group. The parents of disabled kids who have IEPs (individual education plans) may have advice in this regard.

Does your state have any laws concerning the rights of gifted kids? Check into this. Quoting chapter and verse of a law can get action.

Don't be afraid to be tough but polite with the school. Try to see it from their point of view (testing mania, not much infrastructure for ability grouping, etc etc), but don't accept it. What do you have to lose?

Ask "Why?" when they say no. Then ask "Why?" when they give you a bogus answer. Anticipate the bogus answers and bring papers or books with highlighting on the answers to the bogus questions.

Don't be afraid to "annoy" them. They're not worried about "annoying" you or your daughter, right?

I tried pushing them very recently, on the advice of Trinity, and succeeded in persuading a teacher at my son's school to do a subject acceleration. It's not enough, but it's a start.

Val