Originally Posted by Isa
It seems that the children read twice a week by pairs, first one reads and the other follows and vice versa and DD is simply not interested in reading.

This reminds me of the days I would get little notes from the teacher that DS had acted out at school. They always seemed to come on days when the children would exchange work with the child next to them to grade each other's work. Who thought that this was a good idea? On one occasion, a little girl wrote on DS's paper: Very Messy - You write like a Baby.

OK it was 2nd grade, so tact isn't fully developed, but it didn't encourage DS to work on his handwriting, just to 'give up' and 'avoid.'

From what I remember, perfectionism is an issue for your DD, I can't imagine her wanting to read aloud with an agemate if she is less good that what she considers good. Perhaps to ask her what she thinks a 1st grader should be able to do when reading aloud.

I am happy that the school is on your side. Perhaps they can find a regional resource for HG kids and call in some help? Would they conside looking internationally for an expert to consult? I am also happy that there is some progress, and that the word wall is motivating for her. My feeling is that she will probably 'blossom' very soon. Keep telling her the story of the Bamboo tree that grows a very strong root system for three years and then shoots up 30 feet tall. Perhaps it is even time to explain that bilingual (+) kids are growing a stronger root system than single-language kids, and that soon she will have what my son calls 'Mad Skills' and be able to read in so many languages!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com