Very interesting discussion! Thanks for the help. My son has been a puzzle and pattern freak almost literally since birth, so the Nonverbal test WOULD be the one he would ace! In fact, he missed one question...I actually have to wonder if they keyed it wrong! LOL!

BTW, he had also been reading books for over 2 full years when he took the test, but he was only in the 87th percentile on Verbal. Given that his WJ-III of Achievement (taken at the same time) was 154 for Broad Reading and 159 for Broad Written Language, we think he's operating on a level of verbal expression and understanding more advanced than the 87th percentile!

Obviously, we're thinking the CogAT wasn't exactly the verbal test for him...At least the achievement tests and his overall CogAT score of 98th percentile were enough to get him IDd as gifted. Now if only the teacher he had in school this year had a clue about how to challenge him... mad

...Not that I'm bitter! Oh, wait, yes I am! And that's why we're on Day #2 of homeschooling!

Kriston