Originally Posted by kimck
Talking to a few other parents, I know that there are reading kindergarteners who were not identified at the 92% level on the NNAT. However, most of them also had fairly rigorous all day preschool programs, so maybe that is a factor as well? Especially some of the Montissouris around here seem to really push reading for Pre-k when the kids do full day.

Teaching oneself to read is one thing, being able to be taught to read is another thing, standing on the kitchen table and demanding to be taught to read is another thing entirely, yes?

"Reading" in Kindergarden can be
"See Spot Run"
Magic Tree House Books
Harry Potter

Again - all gifted, but all having different educational needs.

Most schools are unaware of "levels of giftedness" or areas of giftedness, and offer "one size fits all" accomidations if any. But, with gradeskips, subject acceleration and the offered programs, often a good program can be fit to the individual child. Of course, Homeschooling has some advantages that will rarely be found at the elementary level.

Again - some PG kids, including mine, are not advanced readers - mine was reading Magic Tree House books at the end of 1st grade. But he was thinking about things on a much deeper than average way even back then.

Best Wishes,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com