What I've read about grouping says that everyone benefits from it--high, low, and in between! Interestingly to me, one of the biggest beneficiaries is supposed to be the group of kids just below the GT kids: the bright-average ones. They get to shine when not grouped with the GT kids, and their self-esteem and achievement go up quite a lot. In fact, grouping experts recommend strongly that the GT kids be the top of one class and the high-average kids be the top of a totally different class, so that both groups do better.

I'm less sure I have this part right, but I think it's also recommended that the kids struggling the most should not be with the GT kids. It is better for them to be in the class with the high-average kids.

Can't cite a source off the top of my head, though I should if I'm stating specifics like this. Sorry! But I'm pretty sure I've got it right. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? Where AM I getting my info? Remembering my sources was always my biggest failing as an academic... blush

Kriston