Originally Posted by JBDad
I think we came across as constructive, sane, and honest.
Of course when DW got a bit passionate during the meeting I think that helped a little too smile
JB

Well Done! I bet you and DW did come accross well. A little 'good cop/bad cop' never hurt...in this case it's 'informed and firm daddy plus worried, possibly emotional mommy' is about the best combo possible. Of course, most states don't have laws as strong as PA, and even the best advocacy work by parents can be tossed on the wind. You do have 'Due Process' in your back pocket - DOK! It sounds like the school is aware and on the ball.

I want to say a word for the middle ground. Let's say that they put your son in 3rd grade 'honors' math. Let's say he still isn't 'challenged' but at least is 'occupied' and you just can't bear the idea of 4th grade math for whatever reason. I want to say that although being taught at one's 'readiness level' is ideal, that being taught 'just a bit below' one's readiness level is much, much, much better than being taught at with age-peers.

I figure that many of the more flexible HG+ kids can handle being a bit below readiness level without having their spirits ground away. They may not learn good work ethic, but in my mind, they are being preserved so that in the future when they are in a situation that gives them an opportunity to learn good work ethic, say at age 8 or 11, that they will be able to make use of it. I want to suggest that there is a range of 'poor fit' from what my son faced: 'mortally offended' to what kids with a couple years of subject acceleration face: 'not challenged, but not shamed.'

I think the worksheet is a very positive sign. You and DW are doing great! Go Baby Steps!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com