As for emotionally disturbed behavior, I find the "blame the victim" attitude very upsetting, which is what happened to us 15 yrs. ago. It hurts to have one's parenting under suspicion. We were the most nurturing family we could be. The principal and team knew his iq was 153, that he scored in the 98th percentile, was underachieving for report card grades, yet not one professional offered to give him accelerated work or to change anything they were dong. He was merely viewed as an inconvenience. The principal ran the gifted program and said only kids who did homework were allowed in it. An ED classification was given to our son because he was hiding under his desk in the 3rd grade, having panic attacks with shaking, hated school up through 8th grade, and threw fits at home over school, and began to fear contamination and peer poisoning. Once in the sci tech high school, these symptoms went away. The "blame the victim" attitude was what I seemed to be getting from this teacher(not my son's.) Thank you. All answers have been so helpful. --San

Last edited by san54; 12/30/08 04:54 PM.