I know which program you're speaking of and last year spoke with the woman who takes the phone interview/recommendations. I expressed concerns over phone interviews with teachers who might not necessarily "get" DS because of their misinterpretations of HG kids. She calmed my fears by letting me know that she is (and the program as a whole is) well aware of those attitudes and that they take that with a "kilo of salt!" She assured me that they are/she is very good at detecting teachers who are against this type of program and know how to ask the types of questions to get the answers they are looking for.

After speaking with her, I felt altogether better. Through a lot of discussions with DH, a lot of studying, and discussions with DS, we have come to the conclusion that if it is a good fit for him, he will be accepted into the program. If it is not a good fit for him, or if it is a much better fit for someone else, and there are other viable options out there for him, he will not be offered a spot. Though DS would really like to get accepted into the program, we trust that they are aware of the expectations they have of these kids and will be able to make an appropriate assessment of him and if it is a good fit for him or not. (Of course, we're still crossing our fingers! smile

Who knows, Emm, perhaps one day our children will share a classroom and a positive friendship! I wish both our kids luck!!

smile
Mom of The Future