Dear parents, I would like to ask for your input about how to deal with this situation... DS8 (3rd grade) got in trouble at school today. The regular teacher, who is very nice and understanding (we are so grateful to get this teacher this year, DS's situation has improved tremendously over last year) is sick today, so they got a sub. teacher today. She talked about probability during the math session, then let the kids do worksheets. Now DS is an amazing little mathematician, and he finished the worksheets in a few minutes' time. He was already done when the teacher got to him while doing her rounds in the classroom. She got really mad, and said that there is no way that DS could finish the worksheets in so little time because "no one can be THAT good". She said it must be because DS wasn't listening to her during her instructional time and started working on the worksheets early. DS felt this was incredibly unfair. He came home crying, and for the first time said that he hates school, and he wants to be just like everyone else.

We are in a very good public school district, and kids in DS's school are on average very advanced academically. The district therefore doesn't offer gifted program, with the rationale that too many kids would qualify. There are a couple of private gifted schools around, we checked out both, but decided that neither is obviously better than the public school that DS is currently in to justify the cost. But DS still stands out in his school as being much more advanced than the other kids. He is incredible in every extracurricular activity that he is doing. He was winning science competitions in the school district. And yet the teacher last year was very dismissive of his abilities ("there are many smart kids in my classroom, what's so special about this one kid?"). DS had a terrible time in 2nd grade. This year the teacher is so much better, but then we get the sub. today.

I thought about going to the principal, once and for all figure out what things would be like in the next 3 years. But on the other hand because we don't really have a good alternative and I can't homeschool him, what good does it do for me to find out? I also thought about going to a child psychologist, so that DS can get help coping with school and with misunderstandings. Does this sound a reasonable idea? What would you all suggest?

By the way, DS is a very social and friendly kid, he is very popular among the kids at school and this year's teacher commented that he has great leadership skills. All the trouble seems to be from teachers, not peers.

Thanks in advance.

Worried mom