I thought it was excellent. I had read his book and it was interesting to hear his take on the overdiagnosis issue. There really wasn't time for questions. Participants will get copies of the slides, but it would have been helpful to have a copy of the transcript, too. There were a number of books recommended. I'll see if I can find them in my notes:

Here are some of the things I heard:

25 yrs. ago there were 25 DSM IV diagnoses, now 300. Society is less tolerant of quirkiness; don't need a label for what is really a quirk. More highly gifted, more quirks.

To make a diagnosis, need to look at the level of impairment and the situation.

His take on meds: very concerned about amount of meds handed out; also trying to see if meds improve the behavior is not good idea b/c they'd improve a large percentage of the general population's behavior. Like having a cup of coffee in the morning.

ADHD most common misdiagnosis of GT kids and adults

GT kids have longer attention span and persistence in what they're interested in, not necessarily what you're interested in.

Talked about Dubrowski's over-exciteabilties - intensity of feelings most overlooked characteristic of GT

Handwriting often poor b/c thoughts go too fast to write and don't see the reason for handwriting

Living with Intensity - Dr. Susan Daniels

Look on SENG website resources for Sharon Lind on Over-Excitabilities

Interesting discussion about reactive hypoglycemia and how diet high in protein, no refined sugar and moderate carbs with a high protein mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack can help (kids who crash 1-1.5 hours after eating) - 5-7% of HG population

a book by Irving Yalom on existensial depression

Smart Boys by Dr. Barbara Kerr

Also mentioned Smart Girls by ?

all sorts of books on parenting by Sylvia Rimm, particularly How to Parent So Children will Learn

I have more notes, but I doubt they'd appreciate my posting everything. It was just a good start to put things in context as we continue to circle around the does he or doesn't he have ADD inattentive variety question. It makes it clear that you can't really know just based on teacher comments, as the environment can cause the behaviors, too. He also mentioned that a child who does not listen to the teachers but can sit and read for 1.5 hours probably doesn't have ADD. Interesting.

Most important reminder to me: GT kids will be GT adults and all of these behaviors will continue; they'll have to learn how to manage their behaviors themselves.

Also wanted to add the book is Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children and Adults, by Webb, Amend, Webb, Goerss, Beljan, and Olenchak. 50% of proceeds go to support SENG. SENG, itself, is also a great resource.

Last edited by questions; 11/21/08 09:59 AM. Reason: Added Book title and SENG