Originally Posted by Cathy A
Incog, I will ask about an end of grade assessment. Thanks!

Kcab, there are several third grade teachers. We would have to discuss which class would work best. In the past, they have told me subject acceleration was off the table due to scheduling constraints. But maybe something could be worked out.

Please don't accept this answer...it was the same story for my daughter last year (4th grade). In 3rd grade students were ability grouped for math and my DD was in the accelerated group and thrived. I was told they could not do this in 4th grade due to scheduling and logistics. I'm kicking myself for not fighting harder at the beginning of the school year so essentially she coasted and lost an entire school year. At the end of 4th grade I had to really push the administration to make sure something was done for her for 5th grade. I suggested grade acceleration and was again told it couldn't be done due to scheduling. I was emphatic that this was not an acceptable answer and there had to be some solution. The GATE teacher said she would see what she could do. Well, lo and behold when school started this past fall it was discovered that they actually could work it out. My DD is in 5th grade and attends a 6th grade advanced math class at the middle school next door. She has done exceptionally well with this arrangement but I can't help but think that if I hadn't really pushed it never would have happened because nobody wanted to bother with it. Best wishes!

Shannon