We are very fortunate that there is a small, private school for the gifted here. It is very expensive though and no scholarships are available until 5th grade.

My child misses the kindergarten cutoff here by 5 weeks. There are no provisions in this state for early entrance. He would have to remain in preschool this year, kindergarten next year, etc. The gifted school is allowing acceleration and he is beginning 1st grade while still 4. Although we are still concerened that 1st grade is not enough of an acceleration. If we don't already feel the need to lie to others about what grade he is entering for fear of all the negative comments about socialization, etc.

We are thrilled that a school wants to work with us but he learns at such a remarkable pace that while that may have been the best placement when he was interviewed in March, he has now surpassed the curriculum in most all subjects and will be bored in 1st grade, too. We struggle everyday with what is right because we know it will be frowned on, even at a school that purports to cater to the gifted child's needs, to be in second grade while the other students are 3-4 years older. At the same time, why pay the close to $20,000 a year to accelerate at all if the placement won't truly challenge our child. We have read so much about children being bored and losing their wonderful spirit. Up until now the sky has been the limit on learning in our home. Ultimately homeschool might be the only way to achieve this.
We plan on meeting with the school next week to make our pitch for second grade.

That is too bad that your son needs to repeat Kindergarten. I'm sure you have many of the same concerns we do about keeping them engaged and excited to learn. My stress level is quite high now that the new year is upon us. I empathize with all those parents who have gone down this path before me and sometimes with multiple children!!!