We just had my daughter tested privately because she is bored in school. She is moderately gifted with a GAI of 133. Her neighborhood elementary school is a K-6 school and we just moved here from TX so she will only be in the 6th grade for one year. They don't have a GT program but her teacher may be willling to accelerate/enrich in some areas. School's out for another three weeks though so I can't discuss with the teacher til then. I am trying to get in to speak with the principal. The feeder MS does offer a quality gifted program and we are trying to take advantage of all opps for her to take programs there (band camp this summer etc.)

Another option is to enroll in another school district that offers the Middle School IB program + a separate gifted program. That school is Grades 6-8 so that would be good for continuation. The psychologist who administered the test says that IB isn't necessarily the best program for gifted kids though and that it's best reserved for HS if it is of interest to the student. I am interested to know what you all think of this. Is IB too "sequential" for Middle School? She was concerned that it's just too much busy work that is not tailored to the gifted student's interests so the student may lose motivation and feel resentment towards the extra work/homework.

Thanks for your input!!