Hi again smile A little background to remind everyone who we are. I am the Mom of 3 kiddos. We are concerned about our 1st grade son that will probably need to be grade skipped. We decided to research and look at out options for the moment because DS seems to be happy with his 1st grade peers and class even though he isn't academically challenged.

We just had parent/teacher conferences and I am cautiously optimistic. I don't know if you recall, but I did schedule a meeting with her shortly after school started to talk about DS's academic proficiency then came home with mixed feelings and thinking she didn't understand. At the conference she talked about how well behaved he is (anyone else feel this is a double edged sword?), how he is really coming into his own among peers and how exceptional he is academically. All the same stuff we already discussed but at least she is trying to differentiate a little. She provided a 2nd grade reading workbook that works on comprehension but this is in addition to his other home work. I am hoping if I take it slow and ask he can work on this work instead of the too easy handouts. I can see how it is fun at the moment but will become tiresome to him. I will just have to wait and see. She is also letting him choose harder chapter books to read not at his reading level but better than it was. So at least between the 2 of us, we are addressing his reading proficiency better.

She isn't offering any real progress in math so I was hoping you could recommend some resources I could look into that could be supplemented at home. I don't really want more worksheets as much but more so along the lines of games and manipulatives. Being able to delve deeper into math concepts isn't my strong suit. I am more of a struggle to see A+B=C person.

All and all it is going slow and I don't feel I have hit a brick wall yet but there is the huge red flag of her going on maternity leave at winter break for 2 months. eek I asked about the long term sub and voiced out concerns that our son will fall through the cracks so to speak. She did say she understood and that she will leave detailed instructions for the sub but so far the district hasn't found a long term sub for her class.

Well that is our update. Because he is happy we haven't asked for a formal evaluation yet. I am very nervous about the near future with the sub situation and hopefully I will know what to do when we cross that bridge. Thank you for all your support and guidance this far it has really helped.