If my 10 year old son did a daily reading log, it would be filled with lots of history and science related Wikipedia articles and video game magazine articles and an occasional book like Ripley's Believe it or Not and magazines like National Geographic, because that is what he prefers to read on his own. I think the time he spends reading on his own probably adds up to several hours a day, so I never felt the need to keep track of it.

We read books about economics and government together because he likes to discuss those subjects. He even asks me to read the economics book on weekends when we are not doing any homeschooling, so I know he is enjoying learning about this subject.

He does not enjoy reading most of the books his public schooled friends are reading and even though his friends kept telling him how good the Harry Potter books were and numerous other books, he refused to read them. He would not change his reading habits for a reward or a bribe as he calls it, but he thinks most people would. When he listened to the debates, he said he thought most people would vote for the candidate offering the best bribe.