Originally Posted by Dottie
I agree about the leisure time. Our school mandates 30 minutes of reading homework a day, which I'm fine with. However, trying to force those 30 minutes into the point system drives me nuts. Let the kids meet a reasonable goal, and then "reward" them by letting them read whatever they want (including, *gasp* magazines!) Instead our collective school mentality seems to be more/higher/better/faster

We're running into that problem, too. GS9 is supposed to log what books he is reading as well as time, and have me sign the log. He's having difficulty logging his reading accurately, and getting it signed off. He reads on the bus going to school, he reads on the bus coming home, he reads in class waiting on the rest of the class, he reads anything with words at any opportunity. In 3 weeks, he met his AR point goal for the quarter. I'm just praying that his AR log is not going to count in his grade for reading because once he finished his goal, his log is very spotty; but that doesn't mean he hasn't been reading.