Hi Everyone....
I am new to this board and have learned a lot in the past two days of cramming. To make along story short I have a meeting with my 11th graders teachers friday concerning his grades. He is failing 3 subjects, including Art-his favorite. BUT has an A in Geometry-he says it is too easy. His IQ is exceptional-they won't tell me the # and he is considered cognitvely gifted. We tried a pull out gited program in 3 and 4th grade-he was bored with it and hated missing his regular subjects. Back then (and now) we went through the "Do the easy stuff and they will give you hard stuff". That didn't work-it just gave him more work to do- the easy and then the hard. Most times he didn't even want to do the easy to get the hard.

He has never gotten straight A's, in fact his grades have been pretty bad since 7th. He even failed WOrld History last year (again-one of his best subjects). The teachers and School Psycologist consider him an "Underachiever".

My son is frustrated and says he is always bored (at home and school). Although he has been saying that since 2nd grade. He is NOT doing his homework-doesn't seem to care. Nothing I do makes any difference. He doesn't even want to do his weekly art sketches-says teacher always gives him a D. (He really is a great artist) and wants to drop Art.

The school is talking about disciplinary action (ISS, etc) if he doesn't start handing in his homework (after a week and a half of pressure from everyone nothing has changed in his attitude).

I am at my wits end and am so frustrated. I read here on this board about some colleges taking early admissions but with his grades he probably wouldn't qualify.

There is a lot more I could say but my fingers can't type quick to enough to say it all.

If anyone has any suggestions for the meeting friday morning I'd appreciate it.