Thanks so much for everyone's comments....I spoke for a long time last night with my husband and we both had the same feeling about what to do and it is exactly what everyone suggested- we as parents of course always worry that we might not be doing the best thing and it's an even harder job when your child doesn't fit the "norm". He gets one short handwriting lesson each day so we will just stick with worrying about the writing aspect during that short lesson (we picked the preschool handwriting without tears program which does a lot of shape/coloring/fine motor practice)and I will just write his answers in for the other work we do....that way he can still proceed at his rate and enjoy learning/exploring without being stressed.

Any others out there that have gone through homeschooling and I am wondering how this flies when I have to show his portfolio at the end of the year and there is minimal writing done on his part other than his handwriting lessons? I would take it that I would just have to explain to the teacher that reviews his portfolio what we have been doing as far as concentrating on handwriting. Thanks again for all the great comments/feedback