DS has been invited by a friend to join a cub scout den. I don't know anything about cub scouts and I'm a little confused about the ranks. I looked on their website and found this:

Q. What is the difference between Tigers, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos.
A. The different rank programs are set to be age specific. By doing so, the boys will be working on things that are more likely to at their level. If you had 7-11 year old all thrown together (as in Boy Scouts) the maturity levels would make activities almost impossible to achieve as a group.

Q. What are Tiger Cubs?
A. A Tiger Cub is a boy who is in the first grade (or is 7 years old) and registered, with an adult partner, as a member of a Tiger Cub group.

Q. What is the Bobcat?
A. The first rank for all boys who join Cub Scouting (after Tigers).

Q. What are Wolf Cub Scouts?
A. The Cub Scout rank designated for a second-grade Cub Scout (or one who is 8). Wolf rank is earned by completing 12 achievements.

Q. What are Bear Cub Scouts?
A. The Cub Scout rank designated for a third-grade Cub Scout (or one who is 9).

Q. What are Webelos Scouts?
A. A Cub Scout who has completed third grade (or is 10) and is a member of a Webelos den.

So can DS, who is in 2nd grade, (age 5.5) even join? If so, should he join as a Tiger, Bobcat or Wolf? I don't know anything about the requirements or activities that they do at various levels. Any advice is welcome!