robots, reference books, field guides, lots of balsa and bass wood, glue, miscellaneous hardware, lab ware, safety supplies, kits (like rock & mineral samples, forensics analysis kits)

DOK, Cym!! grin

That sounds so completely incredible!! But given our laid-back, "let's to the minimum amount of work necessary" school system, I can see problems ahead. Thanks for the detailed account. I might still mention it to the powers that be in a general sort of way, as in "Wouldn't this be really cool if we could do this?". I wouldn't mind donating time and money to the project. I basically am looking for something in science that would spark DS8's interest and give him a reason to practice those undeveloped social skills. smile Doing well in the competition was not the main goal. Fostering team work was. DS could not participate in Lego League this year due to a cutback in the number of hours for gifted instruction thanks to the wonderful gifted legislation. mad mad mad

Anyway, I might see if there are other parents nearby who are interested. A group of parents yelling together are more likely to be heard than one lone voice.

Thanks again for the info!!

Mom to DS12 and DD3