hey, this could be the blind leading the blind!! chuckle.

We just had a meeting today re: acceleration. It still hasn't been decided. I think if we push the point we will get it. We just haven't found that ONE pro-argument to propel us over everyone's fears.

Our school and district has never done it before with a typical gifted kid, trying it with a 2E/multiE is giving everyone the willies, but I have to say they've been pretty open to exploring it with us. So....

One thing I would hesitate to recommend is the IAS (Iowa Acceleration Scale), if your child has achievement issues. If he underachieves, it will hurt him in the scoring process. Mite is achieving pretty well now, but when we did the scale he was not.

Mite, too, is responding quite well to the IEP services, when they are implemented consistantly. He is now maintaining a B+ in language arts, an A+ in science and an A+ in math, with Bs in the other subjects, including P.E. The P.E. grade is highly inflated, imo, given that the Mite can't do most of the tasks demanded of him without several prompts and demonstrations and even then he's significantly different from his peers' abilities. Same thing for art. For goodness sake he has trouble in art. If they would make it art history instead of all that fine motor blech he'd just leap, but his art projects are so sadly different from his peers'. He is always so disappointed with his results and they won't service him in art.

Anyhow, I do need some good links, too, to ideas on how to do acceleration with 2E. That is the one thing that is throwing them off.

One thing I do say quite often in our IEP meetings and any other school interactions, "Don't limit Mite to his disabilities."

Willa Gayle