Hi,
I'm the mother of a 9 year old boy who is 2E in that he has attention and written expression disorders. His attention problem is inattentive and it has not responded to medication. He seems to be bored and fantasizing when he should be listening. He is not a behavioral problem. He makes friends easily, too. He has an IEP to address his handwriting and attention and receives good services for these needs. He has a scribe and someone assisting him to keep him on task during his classes.

We are seeking to accelerate him to 5th grade next year having completed 3rd. He's not a high achieving student on his own, but with the IEP services we have seen him increase in his overall ability and achievements. His test scores place him in the highly gifted range in verbal comprehension, but low in perceptual reasoning and processing speed. Academically he is across the board in achievement on the tests, from 12th grade scores in comprehension, to 8th grade in reading, to 5th grade in math, to 2nd grade in handwritten written expression.

We need some links and resources to support 2E acceleration. Our school district has never done one before, but they are willing to explore this option for our son.

Also, I'd like to hear from some people who have 2E kids who have successfully accelerated. I've been watching Trinity's posts about her son's experiences and also am interested in seeing what happens with WillaGayle's Mite. Who else has accelerated or is attempting it?

Gwen