indigo, I'm guessing nmc's "best" public allows out-of-district students to tuition in on a space-available basis, possibly co-funded by the sending district. I knew a district that allowed this. It kept the district (which was high-performing, but had relatively few school-age children, due to a demographic that leaned retirement age) from having to reduce staff or close schools due to low enrollment, and it was cheaper than paying for private school education for the out-of-district families. It was especially popular (and apparently mutually beneficial) at the secondary level, as many of the in-district families departed for private preparatory schools at that point.

And while I would also be reluctant to paint all "rich and white" as the same culturally, the essential point that there may be uncomfortable school climate/cultural/values differences remains. That would be a discussion best had within OP's family, and with more direct knowledge of the cultures in question. Perhaps a visit to the school, or conversations with families already enrolled in the school, might help the OP.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...