The three school options are very similar to the choices that we faced over here - selective, local public and private.

Our local school, which is similar to your option 2, also didn’t have an accelerated program when my eldest enrolled, but at 12-18 months younger than her peers, she fortunately did not suffer any boredom. She was, however, at a disadvantage compared to students at selective schools as it meant she carried a much heavier load of subjects in her final year of school. When she matched her school’s highest mark (achieved by her father) in the HSC exams which serve as the competitive university entrance set of exams, I was able to convince the school executive that had they allowed her to work ahead in one or two subjects, as selective school students routinely do, she might have had a chance at a state rank, so they provided this opportunity to my son, who matches the description of your son.

Whilst his teachers don’t actually prepare any advanced lessons for my son, they implemented online maths programs so that he could work through the maths syllabus at his own pace - he completed four years of the curriculum in six months using the first program and the other two years in eleven months with the second program, allowing him to sit his first HSC exam three years ahead of his age peers. In science classes, he usually reads well ahead and often ends up co-teaching the rest of the class (which has helped teachers who’ve been assigned to teach outside their areas of subject expertise).

Would it be possible for you to negotiate something similar with the lead staff at the school described as option 2?

I will admit that, now in senior high, my son’s role in his class has started to affect the social dynamics amongst age peers, but he is generous and willing to help anyone and whilst he is self assured, he is also humble and affable, so whilst he has a handful of rivals and detractors, he is generally well liked by both teachers and students. I think it’s been a good environment to learn skills which will help him negotiate the future workforce market place.