I just want to say that this was 40 years ago.

I just looked up the stats for 2019. And these are the breakdown of the 21000 approx that got into medical school.

The most common majors were:

Biological sciences—11,843 total matriculants.
Physical sciences—2,214.
Social sciences—2,107.
Humanities—797.
Specialized health sciences—650.
Math and statistics—168.

My view is that what I did will not work in 2021. It is a very different world for my kid. Like old haematologists were the first oncologists. Now oncologists are totally specialized. It is a very different world. Canada still doesn't recognize MDs from anywhere in the world except the US. My husband looked into it when we first thought to move to Canada. If you went to school in the US, trained in the US, and practiced in the US, you could automatically get a medical license in Canada. No other medical training is recognized without some further training in Canada.

My view. I also think that you can indulge yourself into classics outside of school. Dante's divine comedy is available for anyone who wants to read it. But sciences have gotten way more intense. My father had a slide ruler in engineering.

Our discussion here is about getting the best options for our kids. And best options are changing. Our guidance counsellor said that you don't need APs for Harvard. Some get in without. Yet, this alumni who interviews says that the Harvard entrant now has an average of 8 AP courses. Without SAT, it becomes way more important.

People used to apply to a handful of medical schools. Now they apply to 30 due to the competition.