This is less about cancelling programs outright than reducing bloating and departmental inefficiencies from having multiple redundant, relatively unmarketable programs offered. Yes, there is room for classical education at some universities. No, the supply currently provided is not well calibrated to market demand, particularly at institutions that are publicly subsidized.

To Kai's point, I agree that the line between inquiry and opinion has blurred immeasurably in many humanities programs. With access to computing being what it is, and with the zeitgeist of grants for culturally linked research, there is no reason these fields can't build on an evidence-based foundation and create value, rather than engaging in sophistry.

But do I think, all else equal, that funding for a university seat should be given to someone studying Medieval Ukrainian bridal rites among the aristocracy vs a nanotechnologist? Absolutely not, if I'm footing part of the bill as a taxpayer.

And to wren's point, if job specific training is "peasant" work, then I guess I'll be entrusting my life to a lowly peasant should I ever need a coronary bypass... *grin*

What is to give light must endure burning.