It’s insanity, right, re: cognitive dissonance with 2e?! I literally had his third grade teacher, French teacher, and acting principal advocate that we undo his telescope because he seemed unmotivated to do work and would socialize extensively in class. This was despite his hitting the ceiling on achievement testing four years above age level (three above grade) and getting 100% on all his coursework. (He was strategic enough to stonewall practice, but to ace evaluations. Pretty decent for a then-7yo.) I had never bothered to test for giftedness, as he is quite conspicuous, but I seriously contemplated it that year because I was sick of hearing, “But he’s a year ahead and soooo young...”

Surprise! DS is 2e and is polite enough to refuse work through passive but pleasant resistance. He knew it was pointless trying to argue with those people, so he charmed them and did whatever he pleased, politely.

I will add that DS is at the same school, there is a new principal well-versed in 2e, and his core teacher this year and next is superb. Same institution, same child, diametrically opposed experiences because of the teacher’s advocacy and ethos.

What is to give light must endure burning.