LOL, HighIQ, do not cringe! wink Here's the thing. There is IQ (or call it native intelligence, or ability, or potential) and there is opportunity (or call it support, encouragement, nurture, timing, lucky breaks, being noticed).

We all live at the intersection of those two forces, nature and nurture.
- The smartest, most gifted person around still needs to be nurtured, to maximize their intelligence.
- The person with abundant opportunity still needs some intelligence, to maximize the opportunities.

I am familiar with schools which tend to ration opportunities by perceived wealth of the students' families. They have plainly stated that the students able to travel internationally, attend more expensive camps, and apply to elite schools may make a better name for the K-12 school... therefore they "invest" in those pupils. It is unfortunate, IMO.

This where the concept of "grit" comes in. The people who've always had to work hard for what they get tend to develop more inner drive, persistence, perseverance, stamina, resilience... and gratitude. They do not tend to be jaded, take things for granted, or have a sense of entitlement which those mentioned earlier may have developed by always being favored, catered to, and coddled as "most likely to succeed." In short, those with grit may work hard for less extrinsic reward... the work itself, and the personal growth which it stimulates, are an intrinsic reward.

This is where I'll refer to the children's tale of the tortoise and the hare: Slow and steady usually wins the race. Life is not a sprint.

I'll look for some higher lexile levels.