Originally Posted by HighIQ
Yes, but I find it difficult to believe that I wasn't at all gifted and talented to them after reading through those U.S. presidents books with Lexile levels over 1000 in third grade while most of the gifted kids on this site read fantasy books with lower Lexile levels. It makes no sense whatsoever, and it continues to bother me to this day.

HighIQ - Unfortunately, many/most "gifted" programs have NOT been created to identify the pupils needing more/different/accelerated curriculum and then matched the program to each child. Instead, many/most schools had a program and/or activity in mind and then sought to populate it with a group of pupils who "fit" that somewhat narrow offering. GT selection rules may have included (non-relevant) criteria such as older sibling in program. Therefore (as an example) an only child with a 150+ IQ may NOT have been identified/selected but a dozen children with "optimal" IQ 124-132 and older "gifted" siblings may have been selected.

I'm guessing that some version of this type of program and selection criteria may have been at work in your school days. BTW, many gifted readers prefer nonfiction, as it appears you did, when you read about the Presidents!

I am hereby retro-actively declaring you gifted. Complete with angst of those having an IQ above the optimal range, and no good match in academic placement, pacing, curriculum, or intellectual peers. Embrace that part of yourself, and nurture the best of its abilities, for the world at large may not recognize or encourage it. As a former gifted child, now a gifted adult, embracing the giftedness may include emphasis on strategy and problem-solving abilities. A world of possibilities is before you. You are always welcome here.