Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
So, my take on this is that student led learning probably doesn’t suit most school kids, but for those whom it suits, it’s a golden opportunity for them to just seize the baton and really run with the concept.

I am sure. And my son liked the sound of it. But it sounds to me like it suites only a small, certain type of student. And, of course, it is those type of students that these type of teachers seem to only want to teach anyway (because they are easy, maybe?) My kid has executive function deficits and a learning disability, I highly doubt he will be among the few this type of teaching really suits. I am skeptical it will work for him and I am also skeptical this teacher would want to help it work for him. They just want to teach the neurotypical gifted kids anyway. They are not interested in doing whatever would need to be done to help such a model work for someone like my kid.

Finally, I would be way more supportive of giving it a try if we were in a normal situation where my kid was in school in regular normal circumstances. Right now, my kid is struggling, the hybrid/virtual thing feels chaotic, and I am not sure they are actually learning anything as it is. Teacher said in her email she did the flipped classroom back in the spring when the school shut down and "some students" like it. First of the the spring was overwhelmingly a disaster and I do not want to revisit that. Secondly, "some students" is not enough for me to have faith that this is good idea. I mean, "some students" will learn just fine no matter where they are and how good or bad a curriculum or a delivery model is - that does not mean it is a good a approach. I am just suspicious that this a nicely worded, trendy phrase for "I just assign a crap ton of assignments and you see if you can figure it out and get them done and if not then come to office hours" frown