Hi and thanks for the reply! I hadn't checked in here for a few months, sorry for missing your message.

So, since my post, of course the pandemic happened. smile Our school is starting out 100% distance learning. After some dithering I've chosen to put him in Geometry and not dual-enroll him in Algebra 2. I've also ordered the AOPS Geometry book. I'll see how this first week goes, but the Geometry syllabus and textbook do worry me a lot. The scope and sequence the teacher is choosing is NUTS to me. They're barely going to go through a chapter a month, and they're not even getting to proofs or basic geometry definitions like congruency and similarity until January. shocked They will have 3 25 minute synchronous sessions per week, and are told to expect another 2.5 hours of asynchronous assignments (which I truly doubt will take my child that much time). So maybe there will be flexibility for us to dive deeper.

It sounds like you found a great solution for your son! Another option I can consider is that the school will be using APEX learning products for some high school assessment, and the district refers to APEX curriculum in its reopening plan for fall. So there's a chance that some self-paced options could open up that would be acceptable to school leadership!

We'll just have to play it by ear and see, I guess. As one of my friends cringes every times she hears it, these are unprecedented times!