I have two children. My first child was tested 6 years ago using WISC-IV and received a GAI of 138. He was designated as gifted (which wasn't surprising to me based on obvious behaviors since infancy). My second son was recently tested using WISC-V. His GAI was 137. The determination that he was NOT gifted. I will say, I've personally been on the fence about him being gifted or just a really bright kid due to lack of perceived "gifted" behaviors, but the GAI similarity caused me to look further at the underlying test scores. Unfortunately, my first son was also tested using WJ-III Ach and my second son was tested using Wiatt-III, making comparisons impossible: which brings me here.

Due to the lowness of one Wiatt-III score (Essay Composition) I assume that is the deciding factor, but I honestly have no idea. We meet in one week (virtually, unfortunately) so any information would be greatly appreciated. Scores are below:

8 yrs, 10 months, entering 3rd grade
WISC-V
GAI - 137 - 99 percentile - Extremely High

Scaled Score (x=10)
VCI Subtests
Similarities - 19
Vocabulary - 15

VSI Subtests
Block Design - 16

FRI Subtests
Matrix Reasoning - 16
Figure Weights - 13

WIAT-III
Test, Standard Score (x=100), Percentile Rank, Grade Equivalency
Reading Comprehension (1-12) - 129 - 97 - 6+
Essay Composition (3-12) - 98 - 45 - 3.8
Numerical Operations (K-12) - 160 - 99+ - 6.2
Math Problem-Solving (K-12) - 131 - 98 - 6.4

What strikes me is the grade for Essay is 3-12 and he is ENTERING 3rd grade. He's written few book reports (even less due to the pandemic) and knows little of structural essays at this point. Aside from a few book reports, I'm not sure if he's been called on to write more than two sentences in school for anything, while this essay seemed to be 4-5 sentences.

As I said earlier, I've always been on the fence with gifted for him and still think he may just be very bright, so don't worry about offending. Any insights are greatly appreciated.