Originally Posted by jarredreeves
It might sound odd, but I would suggest explain your child the benefits of handwriting, one of which is improvement of academic performance

This is fairly late advice with regard to the original post... But with regard to this advice in general, please be aware that this almost certain does not apply to children (or adults) with dysgraphia. Our children's OT is of the firm opinion that what is required to improve learning is AUTOMATICITY. If you never reach automaticity with handwriting it will never benefit your learning to hand write... My children were all able, with years of therapy, to attain quite neat handwriting. But not automaticity and not neat handwriting plus speed, or volume, or original work (let alone all of those at once). They achieved neat handwriting in a handwriting book/lesson: 100% attention on holding the pencil and forming the letters.

They DO have automaticity of typing.

Our OT also had some fairly strong words about handwriting vs typing study methodologies.

When you look at a lot of studies around whether handwriting improves you see statements like : "Most people who use handwritten notes use note taking techniques noting their own understanding in concise dot points, while most people who type lecture notes type the entire lecture verbatim".

The problem identified here is not the typing, its that children who have mastered handwriting turn into adolescents and adults for whom existing paradigms of note taking (say Cornell notes) are designed, and which are readily learned and applied. You would need to study whether people who have been taught a useful note taking technique which uses typing, to figure out whether handwriting vs typing, or verbatim vs actual "note taking" which promotes learning.

What I am quite sure of, is that if difficulty with handwriting overwhelms all other factors, then you aren't learning much at all...