Originally Posted by Tigerle
I recall skipping a transition year being a big con on the IAS, same as skipping into the grade of a older sibling.
I do not recall this, therefore asked your source... other posts linked upthread discuss the specific document(s) and page(s) of the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS), which consists of three documents:
1- Manual,
2- Forms,
3- Summary and Planning Records.
While Hoagies Gifted Education Page describes several factors as being a no-go according to the IAS, transition year is not listed among those factors.
Possibly your source was not the IAS, or articles summarizing the IAS, but questions/discussion on these forums or elsewhere on the internet (essentially repeating a random poster on the internet who said they think the IAS says it’s not a good idea).
I think it is important to clarify/verify the source of information so that we are are not inadvertently creating myths about acceleration.

In the IAS entry on the Davidson Database, discussion of the "current education environment" is listed as one of several aspects considered. This may include discussion of items such as the sending grade being the final year in elementary or middle school, the receiving grade being the first year in middle or high school, cessation of gifted program without additional headcount, and many other aspects of the learning environment. Such discussion does not indicate questionable motives for a student's acceleration; although parent(s) of other student(s) in the receiving classroom may not agree with the acceleration, their agreement is not a factor weighed in making the acceleration decision.