I am from MA, although I have been down in Atlanta now for 7 years. My older son was going into 3rd when we left. We lived in Medfield, which is known for good public schools. I can tell you it was a lousy experience for my gifted son but we found other school systems the same way so it is not just Medfield. The public school system operates in a box and if you are way behind there is help. If you are way ahead the answer is do nothing and "wait for others to catch up....or why don't you spend class time helping others." Great but in the mean time my kid coasted and suffered. I ended up getting recruited and moving jobs the year he was to enter 3rd grade but we had pulled him out of Medfield and applied him to the Sage School in Sharon/Walpole area. It would have been like a mortgage payment to send him but in our diligence that was the best option. There kids are not limited and many students transition in grades/curriculum as their pace. It is a shame there are not public schools in MA (at least that I was aware of) that did anything what the Sage school does. In GA they do have a few public options for gifted but it only serves about 10% of the demand. Most others if able pay for private school like what Sage offers. There are choices down here that do that. If you don't have to work or can work from home you may consider Home School options. Good luck!