When my son, who had a two year skip, finished 8th grade, we decided to homeschool him (at a high school honors level) for two years to give us some time to figure out what to do about high school. He ended up deciding to enter the local public high school with his agemates in 9th grade.

The first year went well because it was new and exciting, but halfway through 10th grade he ended up withdrawing from two of the most "meaningless" classes to homeschool because he couldn't stand it any more.

This year, in 11th, he is taking three AP classes at the high school and four classes at home. His grades at the high school are not good because he neglects to do homework that he deems to be not worth his time. Ugh.

We are playing around with the idea of sending him to the local community college for a quarter or two next year and then graduating him from our homeschool so that he can have a partial gap year. The hope is that the new environment of the CC coupled with nonstandard coursework might hold his interest enough to get him through high school without too much more damage to his GPA.

All of this is to say that there are no easy answers. By the time the kid is mature enough to set aside his "principles" long enough so that his GPA doesn't take a hit, he has totally outgrown whatever the high school can provide in terms of intellectual stimulation.

In other words, for my son, the reasons for the poor fit in high school have changed, but the poor fit remains. My son wasn't ready socially for high school at the end of 8th grade, but by the time he was ready socially, he had outgrown it academically. And by the time he is ready from an executive functioning standpoint, he will have aged out of high school altogether.