Originally Posted by spaghetti
1. what are the high school requirements. Our state requires 1 math every year. Even if you take two in 9th grade, you still need to take 3 more.

2. High school geometry is nothing like the elementary school geometry. If it's a good course, you do logical proofs. If not, you learn about the relationship between shapes, and you learn formulas. Way different than elementary because you can use algebra for most of it.

3. Mine did the same path as Nicoledad. Mine wanted to be a writer. But math was a good escape to being with the kids from the higher grades and she learned to love math. Diff Equ in senior year.

4. I have a dysgraphic and was worried about geometry but it was OK. Not the favorite math subject, but enjoyable nonetheless. It's harder to do accommodations for geometry due to limited typing software (latex and efofex) so need to plan ahead for an e -course.

Our high school is not like that. It is credit for certain courses you have to have, not "a math every year," so that is not a problem. If you are done your math requirements - you are done. You can take other math courses, not required, or take college credit classes (partner with two local colleges) or take no math at all. This summer course would enable him to earn his high school credit for geometry. He would move on to getting high school credit for Algebra II next year in 8th if he successfully completes the summer geometry course.

Yes, this summer geometry class is on logical proofs.

And, yes, of course, accommodations are always a problem and especially hard with geometry, which is why getting it out of the way in an 8 week summer course sounds way better to us (him and me) than having to deal with an entire year of honors geometry. This way he has one class only, it's only for 8 weeks, and, then, done. He seems to have very little problem with algebra and accommodations - has a math keyboard and types everything. However, Geometry has always been a pain so I can see the attraction to the 8-week, able-to-focus-only-on-that-one-subject, course.

Last edited by Irena; 04/10/19 07:01 AM.