Wren, the requirements will vary a lot- each school has their own; I can only speak to our specific experience, which was mainly liberal arts schools and/or places with a core curriculum or requirements. DD found that having a 5 on a foreign language AP (spoken, not sure if same is true for Latin) was enough to exempt her from taking further foreign language requirements at all the places she was considering. Some schools will have their own placement exams instead, but I suspect that being capable of achieving a 5 on the AP exam is a good indicator of doing well.

I don’t recall that there were specific requirements for years studied; I suspect lots of kids here use the Chinese exam without studiying the language in school. The years taken thing does seem to come up when schools are looking to see if kids took the most rigorous courseload offered at their high school- I don’t know, but suspect that taking the minimum year requirements for English, for example, even if the kid has APs, might not look great, but obviously it depends what the kid took instead of that fourth year of English. (I have mainly seen this kind of thing when kids who have accelerated then take no more math, or science, for their last year or two- I do think certain schools could view that as a lack of interest or curiosity, but that is JMO).

Last edited by cricket3; 03/17/19 08:56 AM.