All my children have started ticking around age 5 or 6, and it appears that DS12 has somewhat grown out of it (he still pulls his hair, but never rips it out). I know you’re supposed to ignore chldhood tics, wait until they disappear on their own, but I appear to be unable to ignore the mouth tics, they bother me so much and I keep thinking about how other people must react.

DD8 has started yanking her mouth open again, often several times a minute, and she does it during meal times when she’s chewing, too, which drives me nuts.

DS6 has, thank god, stopped yanking his hair out, and it’s growing back in again, though he still has a palm sized pretty thin-looking patch, which upsets me every time I see it. To be fair, it was an unusual stress reaction to a stressful situation (three hospital stays with as many surgeries) but now we are in a rehab facility and he is visibly more relaxed, he has started a chewing/smacking mouth tic.

I can’t seem to stop myself from telling him to stop. He, of course, insists he is not doing anything while doing it (DD8 is different, she insists she needs to yank her mouth open because the corners of her mouth itch).

What can I do? I am driving myself nuts here....

Last edited by Tigerle; 03/12/19 01:18 AM.