I would add - working with our school boards and with parents, I tend to emphasize that IQ is a purely statistical construct. By its very definition, all it does is tell you how far you are from the norm. That's it. How far from "normal". Not how better. IQ measures how *differently* a child's brain works from the brains of the other children around them.

And I continually find that the more differently a child's brain is wired in this one measurable way, the more likely they seem to be wired differently in a variety of other ways too.

Having a sense of scale about how much different your child is can be very helpful as a parent. All kids generally have the same basic needs: family love, social connection, academic engagement. But the pathways to provide those can be really different for some kids: what works fine for their schoolmates can be unhelpful, even destructive, for them. PG kids often do poorly in school: they are simply functioning too differently for the way school works. They are often not the kids with great marks, who are the best - the "smartest" at doing stuff the school way. Teachers tend to find PG kids really frustrating. They are not doing the same thing, faster; they're doing something else, some way else, entirely beyond the teacher's imagining.

The numbers are just a hint, not fate. So I have found that IQ doesn't tell me much, but it is a warning to me about just how creative I may have to get, how far out of the box my child might need me to go, how differently I may have to be from the other moms in order to meet his needs, how differently we may need to think of his schooling to keep him from flunking out.