My son has gone through something similar so hopefully this post helps. He is 14yo graduating HS this year. He also has about 2 years college complete through Dual Enrollment. He only did one official year of HS + 3 semesters full time DE and skipped a few grades. He applied this past fall to several elite colleges and plans to attend GA Tech starting this summer full time for BME/pre med.

1. We found this path extremely challenging in that many school principals and districts resisted acceleration. This pain began in Kindergarten but continued each and every year. We moved schools often to keep moving forward. If anyone is interested how we navigated that feel free to message me as it is a long story. Ultimately I pulled him out last year and became his home school administrator.

2. In GA, dual enrollment (DE) is pretty straight forward and fully paid for by the state up to 15 credits. Certain SAT/grades etc. apply based on the school. Many other states have programs like this.

3. For the most part, all DE courses will transfer in state. If you are going OOS then you need to contact the school. Duke and JHU, two of my sons favorites both said DE credits limited to courses beyond the HS grad requirements (which he has some) and limited to a total amount of hours. Some schools were more friendly about DE credits (U of Virginia, U of Michigan, etc.). Some schools willing to offer place out tests once you accept.

4. Strength of schedule is a top 3 variable to get accepted. In many cases w/o DE or AP's you will be at a disadvantage. 8-12 is what I would recommend in aggregate. So if you are applying as a younger student you will need to still meet these hurdles along with SAT and grade requirements.

5. You do not need to settle for a secondary school as a younger student. Top elite schools accept students like yours and mine. GA tech told me they have a 12yo currently. Duke, JHU, MIT, Vanderbilt, etc. all told me 15/16 is young but they have some every year. Don't settle.

6. My son won't graduate HS formally with a degree but he will have around 30 credits completed of a normal 24 in GA. None of the top colleges he applied to required degrees but do require certain courses (e.g. 4 yrs math, 4 yrs english, 3 SS, 2 FL, 3 or 4 Science, etc).

7. All the colleges advised us that students entering with DE/AP should apply as a freshman even though they will then get adjusted up due to credits. Not as a transfer. I spoke to at least 15 colleges all top 50, most were top 20.

8. My son was eligible for all the normal scholarships and in GA tuition is free if you have a 3.7. Fees, housing, food, books extra but tuition is free in state. GA tech is included in this.

9. GA tech is his top choice b/c of the free tuition and top 3 in country for BME major. He is willing to go to Duke or JHU (2nd/3rd choices) only if he gets a free ride via merit. We won't hear till March but he has been accepted to GA Tech and a few others so likely GA Tech is the final. We also live 10 miles from Tech and sending him away is of concern to us (not to him as he feels ready).

I wish you the best of luck.