Hello! I'm new here. I wonder if any of you went through a situation like this; if so, I would love to hear what you did.

DS skipped two grades and is a high school junior at age 14. He took mostly AP classes in high school and as we plan his senior year, we are realizing he has maxed out on AP classes and doesn't really have high school classes he could take. He has also taken a couple of online college courses. He has enough credit to graduate at the end of his junior year but would like to attend graduation with his peers at the end of his senior year (He is motivated to delay his graduation because he was told he cannot attend graduation ceremony and he cannot be named valedictorian even though he has the highest GPA). So what he should do during his senior year is a big mystery right now.

Here's what we think are doing. DS is applying to local universities right now. We are hoping as long as he has met all graduation requirements, the universities will not require a high school diploma. And we're hoping his high school will let him take all his classes at the local college while still counting him as a high school student. If he gets in to one of these colleges, he will attend college full time while still technically a high school student. These are not universities that he ultimately hopes to attend and get his degree from. He is applying to these local universities because he is too young to go away to college. If everything goes according to plan, during his high school senior/college freshman year, he will apply to colleges of his choice (like all other high school seniors). He will probably have to apply as a transfer student.

We're just hoping this is the right decision but this is such an unusual path from high school to college that I don't have anyone to talk to. Does anyone have experience with this or anything similar?