Thank you Val for your nice comments. We wish he could make his own decision, which will make everything easier.

Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by ASVA
Our dilemma is that our DS has always been strong in reading and English, and that is how he got into SET. But he recently only got B+ in his English, which puzzled me. With his English, he is unlikely to get into the magnet high school. ... I’m wondering what went wrong with his English. Is it that his ADHD finally starts to get in the way of studying, if so, why he scores so high in his other tests?

I'm not convinced that a B+ is a bad grade. It sounds like a pretty good grade to me. Honestly, if a B+ will keep someone out of a magnet high school, would a student really want to go there? That kind of emphasis is a way to create fear of failure and burnout in a child.

Children have to make their own way, and getting all As isn't necessary for success. There are many good colleges, and again, students don't have to have all As to get in or succeed.

Now, this is all my opinion, and I think it's very important to involve the student in the decision. At 13, he's old enough to have a lot of say in the decision. So where does your son want to go to high school? What does he say?