I would like to note that while clearly, skipping a whole grade isn’t a panacea, single subject acceleration, though it may sound like such a good compromise, tends to be no more than a band aid. It may work for a while, with some teachers, but not others, and if it’s a two year acceleration, might soon require arrangements with a middle school.

I do understand being reluctant to skip due to social emotional concerns. Between 3 kids, we have twice decided for and twice decided against accelerating a particular kid in a particular situation. You will be hard pressed to find the sweet spot with the just right level of academic challenge that is also a good socio emotional fit.

I’d explore the single grade skip option further. It will give you time to observe your kids in their respective environments a bit longer, and help you make a more informed decision if and when it turns out your younger kid needs even more than he’s getting from the single grade skip. It’s rarely about perfect - least worst is what a very reputable gifted researcher whose name escapes me at the moments tells parents to shoot for.

Last edited by Tigerle; 10/14/18 01:12 PM.