Hello,

My elementary age child recently qualified for an IEP; however, I lack confidence in the ability of the SPED teacher to deliver the SDI.

The recently hired SPED resource room teacher received emergency certification, so they neither have a teaching certificate nor special education designation. This person's former position was as an IA - a position requiring minimal qualifications.

Our school does not have a counselor and the psychologist's time is shared with other schools thus limited to evaluations. Overall, not a supportive situation for anyone - children, staff, parents.

I don't anticipate this situation changing as the district is financially strapped and resources are focused on racial equity not disability.

The school is a full-time, self-contained gifted site.

IMHO, SPED teachers need more training, not less, to handle the complex needs of children with disabilities much less those who also have very high intelligence.

While our plan is to move to a better resourced and more supportive district next year, what do we do in the interim?

Would you reject the portion of the SDI that the school proposes to be delivered by the SPED teacher? Private pay?

I read the state law, and they allow these emergency certifications as long as the district proves it was a last recourse, and they exhausted all other options. I don't appear to have a legal basis, so I'd rather use our discretionary funds for disability treatment and remediation than litigation.

I'm awaiting a reply from our state sped ombudsman, but I'd like to hear boots-on-the-ground stories and suggestions from parents that faced this situation.

I've purposely omitted under what area of SDI my child qualified, because I'd prefer the focus of the conversation remain on the school resource situation rather than specifics of the disability.

Thanks,
ndf