Hi everyone,
My son (5.5) started public K this fall and after getting to know him a bit, the school is requesting to proceed with a full gifted evaluation. They normally hold off on this until at least 2nd grade unless the parent requests it, but apparently my son looks pretty exceptional to them. The purpose of the testing would be to develop a gifted IEP for him.

The testing would involve, among many other things, an IQ test, and because he is not yet six the psychologist said they would use the WPPSI. I am concerned about this. I had read before that for highly gifted kiddos, ceiling effects often come into play with the WPPSI. Is this likely with a 5.5 year old, assuming that he actually is HG+? If so, is there another test that could be used that would give him more headroom? We would like to be able to apply to DYS, and I'm wondering if it's even possible to score 145+ on that test at his age? On the other hand, he may have qualifying achievement scores regardless (we do have some existing data suggestive of this).

What would you do? We could just request holding off on the testing for 6 more months, but our son is already showing signs of being unhappy and bored in school...