Thanks for your responses.

Howdy - We started cubs recently, and my son is really enjoying that. It is a really small group, but luckily he seems to get on well with the other kids. That is definitely a good outlet for him. I emailed the school today to organise another meeting. There is no concrete plan in place at the moment. I knew DS was struggling, but I hadn't realised it had gotten this bad.

aeh, we do wonder exactly what goes on in school. I know DS does have a tendency to overgeneralise, and we are not sure how extensive the teasing actually is. He does tend to be very reserved though when it comes to giving specifics about things that upset him. There have been a few occasions in previous years, one at a previous school where something fairly serious happened and he only mentioned it a little bit once and would never open up about it again. If I had missed that little window, we would not have found out. Your suggestion of having someone in school with him to see what is actually going on and help teach him how to deal with situations sounds like a fantastic idea. We don't want to underestimate a serious problem with peers, but we also don't want to interpret the actual peer issues as bigger than they are. I know it is a real situation for him, but the solution obviously varies depending on what is actually going on.

I know there is one student he has named, and the teacher mentioned at a previous meeting that there was one student who they are aware has been 'policing' other students and they were working with that student to improve behaviour, and my son has mentioned on student in particular he is having trouble with. So I think there are some real issues going on, but how extensive they actually are I do not know. But he feels it acutely, so I guess we do need to figure something out even if a lot of it is teaching him how to reinterpret what is going on around him.

As a parent, it is such an emotive issue, and teasing issue aside, the thought of him wanting and not having friends does break my heart.

Last edited by Dubsyd; 08/27/18 03:04 AM.